20060123

iMac Intel review roundup

Engadget.com has put up a list of reviews of the Intel iMac. Worth reading them all, I can't wait to have my hands on one of these babies. The only thing that bothers me is that Apple dropped Classic support (even on OS X) completely. It bothers me because I have games I love that only run on Classic, but it seems to be a hell of a machine.

Here's a list of the Pros and Cons from one of the reviews I liked:

Pros

* very fast when running Universal Binaries
* much faster graphics with DVI extended desktop and miniature video camera
* Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR included
* very quiet
* many applications are compatible, even if not optimized

Cons

* "Classic" (Mac OS 7/8/9) applications won't run
* Rosetta doesn't support many peripheral drivers (for scanners, graphics tablets, etc.)
* no fax/modem
* no FireWire 800 or alternative for high-speed storage
* internals completely closed and inaccessible; only RAM is upgradable

What do you think 'bout the new iMac?

(By the way, if you are trying to hack the new iMac to boot Windows XP, see this guy's site!)

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: